I find myself looking regularly at internet offerings and putting myself in the position of people who would be willing to pay to use them.
At Jiva we have a series of offers which adopt a freemium business model, whereby you offer some content free of charge but back this up with paid for services.
I find myself going back time and time again to the seminal article by Kevin Kelly “Better Than Free”. He describes what he terms the Eight Generatives Better Than Free. A generative thing is something that cannot be copied, cloned, faked, replicated, counterfeited, or reproduced. It is generated uniquely, in place, over time, and can be sold.
Confused? Well, lets look at what people pay for in turn:
- Immediacy: getting something you want as soon as its available
- Personalisation: something that is bespoke to our personal needs
- Interpretation: explaining and making sense of complex things
- Authenticity: so you know that its reliable and trustworthy
- Accessibility: readily findable on the web
- Embodiment: available online, or as a document or other physical form
- Patronage: people want to pay creators, we have to make it easy for them to do so
- Findability: no matter what its price, a work has no value unless it is seen
Makes sense now, doesn’t it! Thank you Mr Kelly.